Friday, July 28, 2023

The Anxiety of Solomon


 The Anxiety of Solomon

 

1 Kings 3:5-12
3:5 At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, "Ask what I should give you."
3:6 And Solomon said, "You have shown great and steadfast love to your servant my father David, because he walked before you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart toward you; and you have kept for him this great and steadfast love, and have given him a son to sit on his throne today.
3:7 And now, O LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David, although I am only a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in.
3:8 And your servant is in the midst of the people whom you have chosen, a great people, so numerous they cannot be numbered or counted.
3:9 Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, able to discern between good and evil; for who can govern this your great people?"
3:10 It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this.
3:11 God said to him, "Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches, or for the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right,
3:12 I now do according to your word. Indeed I give you a wise and discerning mind; no one like you has been before you and no one like you shall arise after you.

 

Have you ever been given a tough assignment that caused you to stop in your tracks and ask for wisdom? Frankly, every church I served prompted this response. Here’s my United Methodist appointment “travelogue”:

 

1985-1992—Turtle Creek: McMasters. I was appointed to be this church’s first student pastor, after a long, slow slide (due mostly to that community’s “rust belt” diminishment) that left them unable to pay a full-time pastor. Knowing the history of this fine church, and that I was being sent there to offer them a “new hope” (with apologies to George Lucas), I prayed like crazy for wisdom, given it was my first church assignment, that I would be a full-time dad and a full-time seminary student, and knew my own tendencies toward being a “workaholic.” What started out as a three-year student pastorate ended up a seven-year (tied for my longest appointment) gig, and I left them in better shape than when I arrived, which is ALWAYS a positive answer to the “wisdom” prayer!

 

1992-1997—Associate Pastor at Allison Park: St. Paul’s. After meeting with Dr. Ronald Hoellein to see if I felt we could work together (and actually after the meeting when HE was given the right to “wave off” me as his associate), I was thrilled to join him on a pastoral team that was four-strong, in those days. But especially knowing that I would inherit a buzzing youth program that had been orchestrated by Rev. Joe Patterson, I prayed for God’s wisdom to “do” youth ministry again, especially knowing that I was coming IN older than Joe was going OUT! Working with Ron, George Crooks, and Leah Bergstrom was a wonderful experience, and St. Paul’s really got into my blood, and thanks to God answering the “wisdom” prayer, into my DNA, to the good of my future appointments.

 

1997-2003—Coraopolis UMC. If you are a pastor reading this, and you ever had to follow a popular, successful predecessor, you know how important “wisdom” prayers are! In the long history of the Coraopolis UMC, my predecessor—Dr. Donald Scandrol—had the longest tenure of any of their prodigious list of ministers: Nine years. Now, they were getting me. Don was both a mentor and friend, so my wanting to “make good” on the appointment as his successor had double meaning for me. On that first Sunday, with lots of pairs of eyes staring at me during my first sermon, here’s what I told them:

 

When I arrived at the church this morning, I went upstairs to my new study and tried to open the door. It only opened a few inches, and stopped, acting like someone had pushed a heavy sofa against it, or something. As I struggled with the door, our Music Director, Rev. George Tutwiler, came walking by, and asked what was the problem. I told him about the door, seeming like something big was blocking it. “OH,” he said, “That’s just a pair of Don’s SHOES he left for you to fill!”

 

The congregation burst into laughter, and the “wisdom” prayer was again answered. I had a wonderful six years at Coraopolis.

 

2003-2009--Sharon: First UMC. I won’t go into the whole story, but I had some “connection” or “history” to each of the churches I served in 36 years of ministry, except this one. The only thing I knew about Sharon First was that my part-time, colleague at Coraopolis—Rev. Jack Moon—had retired from Sharon First, and had told us many stories about some of the “tough situations” he had dealt with in that church. When the call came that I was being appointed there, Jack’s only endorsement was: “Oh my God…” Time for “wisdom” prayer number four! The Sterlings spent five and a half years at Sharon First, and all I will say to affirm that this prayer was answered is that, of all of the churches I served, I would have to put Sharon First UMC at the top of my “favorites” list. It was a wonderful experience, and I think we did good ministry there.

 

2009-2014—Warren: First UMC. The move to Warren came mid-appointment year, in January, on the coldest day Warren had seen in 40 years. (I wondered where in the world the Cabinet had sent me!) The mid-year move was necessitated by the sudden and serious illness of our of our District Superintendents, who had to go on full disability. This created a “chain” of moves, after his successor to the District office was named. Dr. Eric Park went on the District, Rev. Bill Starr moved to Eric’s church, I moved to Warren, etc., etc. Again, a “wisdom” prayer was necessary, as I had never stepped into the top leadership role of a multi-staff church in the middle of their program year and RIGHT after Christmas. Also, I was well aware of the historic nature of First UMC, having received and sent many a pastor from/to the superintendency, and had a couple of bishops elected from its clergy ranks. They were also the most heavily financially endowed church in the conference, and aiding in the managing of these funds was part of the job, as well. After another five and a half years of service at Warren: First UMC, I can say that I was quite pleased with how God used us there. Unfortunately, I must also say how disappointed I am that my successor helped steer that great church OUT of the United Methodist Church via disaffiliation. 

 

2014-2021—Allison Park: St. Paul’s (again). Dr. Hoellein served for 22 years at St. Paul’s, and upon his retirement, the Cabinet figured that I might make a good seven year “interim,” given that I planned to retire as of June 30, 2021. I still knew about half of that congregation, and some of its staff, and had maintained a close friendship and “working” relationship with my old boss, which would make the transition easier. Besides, our “styles” and theological viewpoints were pretty compatible. That said, however, never had I prayed a “wisdom” prayer so fervently as I did many late nights before taking the reins of St. Paul’s. These prayers, coupled with the “OH boy…” prayers of that tremendous staff and my clergy colleague, Rev. Karen Slusser, certainly guided us through the transition and into seven years of good ministry, together. In retirement, Dara and I have been blessed to continue to worship at St. Paul’s, and be blessed by the tremendous preaching and leadership of Karen and our new Lead Pastor, Rev. Amy Wagner.

 

So, there you have it—my “journey in ministry.” You should know, however, that MANY “wisdom” prayers were said by yours truly, other than just in these “new appointment” moments. Three major “crises” benefitted from panicked, sincere “wisdom” prayers, on my part: the attacks of September 11, 2001, when I was at Coraopolis, a church literally on the glide slope of Pittsburgh International Airport, and one known as “US Airways at prayer,” with many of our folk working for the airlines. It was a scary time for the whole nation, obviously, but was even more so for airplane folk. For those days that all aircraft in the USA (other than military) were grounded, the silence in Coraopolis was deafening. The other two “crises” occurred during my final years at St. Paul’s. in 2019, our beloved Administrative Director, Faith Geer, died after her malignant melanoma returned. Faith was a conference-wide treasure and a boon to the growth and life at St. Paul’s. Leading that staff and congregation through their grief, and finding new ways to manage our ministry together was a real challenge, especially given that Faith was about as “irreplaceable” as a person could be in her unique role. We made it, though, thanks to MANY “wisdom” prayers. Then, in 2020, came COVID-19. If it weren’t for the wisdom granted to our whole staff by God, I don’t know how such a large church with a huge weekday ministry program would have made it through that, but like most of your churches, we did. Thanks be to God!

 

I share these personal stories with you, the reader, as these are what come to mind immediately, upon reading how Solomon addressed God in his time of “transition” to the leadership of Israel. I hope they have set the stage for the review of your own incredible stories of how YOUR “wisdom” prayers have been said and answered! Now, on to Solomon…

 

This is obviously a famous passage where King Solomon asks God for “an understanding mind” (wisdom) to govern Israel. Given that he was a politician, of sorts, I might take this “prayer” with a grain of salt, if not for the fact that the text says that even God believed his request was genuine. The discernment to know what is truly “good” and what is dangerously “evil” is one of the most valuable of the spiritual gifts. As a pastor, I treasured persons who had the gift of discernment, and who could offer a word of “caution” or “go slow on this” to me, especially given that I was a pretty “driven” leader, who liked to “forge ahead.” Interestingly, three of these very discerning people were church custodians! (There are reasons why it is important to build relationships with your staff, at ALL levels!) 

 

Of course, Solomon just MAY have been this humble, sidling up to God, after he got a good look at Israel. About the only thing in history that has shown itself to be as rag-tag, as poor at keeping “the main thing, the main thing,” bound to wander in the wilderness, and in such need of God’s rescue as Israel,  is the Christian church! I sometimes think that God sent the Holy Spirit upon the church more as a BABYSITTER, than as an “energizer.” If you’ve raised teenagers, you have at least a sample of how God feels about the church. And yet, like we love our teens, God still loves US! God keeps promising good things, even when we drop the ball.

 

The Oxford Dictionary defines anxiety as: a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome. This is exactly what Solomon faced, as this text from I Kings makes clear. He is “a child,” and he faces replacing his father, who was revered as a great leader. Israel is a “great people,” in Solomon’s mind, and yet, we can “hear” his concern about how difficult they are to govern. “Great people” often have their very own ideas about what, how, when, and where things should happen, and if their appointed leader disagrees with the majority, sparks can fly. Sound like the church to you? Great leaders often have to go against the tide of popular opinion, and that tide may, at a moment’s notice, turn into a riptide, carrying the leader far from shore. Too often, a “leadership moment” may turn into a pissing contest between the leader (be they pastor or king) and those she/he is trying to lead. Good leaders understand that not all best directions will have popular support, but good leaders work with this and don’t take it personally, using the earliest thread of disagreement as a time to sit down together, reason, converse as co-interested parties, and come to an agreed upon direction. Good leaders learn how to “sell” their position. Wise leaders never lose sight of the goal. And wise leaders know that rarely does this wisdom emanate from themselves, alone. 

 

Still, such important tasks breed anxiety. What do good leaders do when they are anxious? They reach out to all of the benevolent, good forces that guide them in life—trusted confidants, competent “consultants” with long and good track records, and certainly to their “higher power.” Believers turn to God in prayer, even while consulting with their earthly sources and doing regular gut-checks. Anxiety should be a motivator, not a disabler, for a competent leader. 

 

Teaching moment: some of us have issues with inordinate anxiety, and some of these persons may be called by God into the ministry. Not all pastors should be seen as “interchangeable” in all situations, thus. Even persons with anxiety issues can be shepherds of God’s people! They may have a sensitivity in matters of pastoral care, and even in guiding church decision-making and goal-setting. However, it behooves them to know her or his limits, and resist the temptation to take on larger and more responsibility, knowing their “anxiety trigger” trips much quicker than that of others. Also, ALL leaders should know when to seek professional counsel with anxiety and personal emotional challenges, and good leaders do. But those with “hair trigger” anxiety most assuredly must. 

 

In today’s text, God offers accolades as well as wisdom to Solomon for asking humbly for an “understanding mind.” It appeared to God, at least, that Solomon was wise enough to know what wisdom looked like, when granted to him, and would have both the brains and the guts to use it. 

 

I wish I could say that I always knew when to DO what I felt God leading me to do, both as a pastor and as an individual Christian disciple. Thankfully, most of the time I did my best to do so, but there were times when either I was a bit “chicken” to do so, or just didn’t have the energy to push that button, at the time. However, the same God was God over me who was God over Solomon, and God both forgave and did a little “kicking” to push me off of dead center. There are just those times in ministry when risk is more important than rest, and as many, if not more times, when the opposite is true. We need God’s wisdom to know the difference, and the support of our supportive community to undergird us when we don’t choose so wisely!

 

Here's my prayer for you:

 

Dear God, I’m not Solomon. I’ll not be building you any temples or making too many choices that will put my work into the history books, let alone the pages of scripture! But I am called to serve you and your people, and I am willing to listen for your wisdom, which I expect to hear through your Holy Spirit who dwells within me. May I serve you humbly, or at the very least, learn my “humble lessons” when things don’t go my way, or the way I wish they would. As your servant John Wesley said, O God, “Let me be employed by Thee or set aside by Thee,” but above all, let me glorify Thee! Amen.

 

Oh, and Lord, don’t let the inevitable anxiety of being a preacher, a leader, and a Christian get the best of me! Amen!

No comments:

Love In

Love In   John 15:9-17 15:9 As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. 15:10 If you keep my commandments, you will a...