Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Summer Break

Well, friends, Annual Conference is over, and we are "back home" in Warren, PA. It is still not natural to call Warren "home," but it is getting easier the more we use the term. I guess what makes it a bit tough is that, all through High School, my "home town" Oil City High was a rival school, athletically speaking, with the Dragons of Warren. Now I'm rooting for the Dragons! This year's high school girls' softball team was excellent, and was worth rooting for. Several of our church's young women played on the team, and one of "our own" was their star pitcher. Yes, the Sterlings are, for this time in our lives, officially "Warren Dragons."

That "dragon" thing reminds me of Harry Potter, and that reminds me of some of the strange legislation with which we dealt at Annual Conference. Some folk who proclaim themselves Christians spend in inordinate amount of time fearing things. Paul said, "God has not given you a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and of a sound mind." One piece of legislation merely asked churches to consider having a study of the tricky question (at least in the religious world) of homosexuality, using our denomination's study resources. The motion was defeated in the legislative section, and again on the floor of the Annual Conference! Weren't we just being asked to CONSIDER studying the matter to gain insight? Why do so many folk FEAR knowledge? Are they afraid their opinions might be altered slightly by new information? It boggles the mind.

If you would have told me ten years ago that I would be earning what I am now (thanks to the generosity of the churches I have served) and still living payday to payday, hand-to-mouth, I wouldn't have believed it. Between paying my kids' educations off, the price of gasoline, and the other "trivialities" of life, that's what is happening. However, we are still maintaining our "tithing-plus" stand toward giving. I don't understand people of faith who, when the going gets a bit tough financially, refuse to make a few personal sacrifices in order to keep up their church and charitable giving. It CAN be done, friends. We just have to decide these things are important, and therefore a priority. Again, check out my website on "personal philanthropy" called www.tenfortheworld.org

A large group from our church, and representatives of a few others here in Warren, are doing mission projects this week with The Pittsburgh Project. Pray they have a great week of service and experience, especially life-changing ones for the youth involved.

Did I mention that it is "Summer Break" time? I hope you will find some time to wind down a bit and enjoy the few nice days that will come our way. Be good to yourself. Shalom!

No comments:

Love In

Love In   John 15:9-17 15:9 As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. 15:10 If you keep my commandments, you will a...